Monday, July 14, 2008

Grouping in LotRO: Lowbies

As the banner of this blog implies, I play LotRO from time to time.

It’s a fun game. I like it.

I’m level 9.

You hear a whoosh as all credibility goes out the window.

Wow, did you just feel a breeze?

Anyways, yeah, so I’m level nine and questing my avatar off. When I began I decided to roll a loremaster that looked like an old man. I’d been reminiscing about my teenage days reading the Dragonlance Chronicles and something made me want to roleplay an old wizard.

I’m wrinkled. I’m old. I’m Fizban’s half-cousin. Well, not really. But I look and act like it!

So, I’ve been having fun. The game is beautiful, the community is awesome, and the story is engaging.

One thing I’ve noticed in my nine levels of pinecone throwing is that it’s pretty tough to get groups for low level content. I’ve had this quest to kill some cellar spider now for some time but, try as I will, I can’t find a group for it!

Now, I dig some RP but not to the point where it’s going to drive anyone away. I generally keep it in general channels such as ‘say’, so I’m not frightening anybody with my RP.

So, I have to believe, at least on Landroval, that most people have either a) moved past the content and have little interest in alts; or b) don’t want to group.

Either way, it’s not too enthusing. Option A is obviously the better of the two… perhaps there’s something grand at the end of the rainbow for this little loremaster. Or maybe it means that I’m looking forward to one heck of a grind.

Hell, it could just be my playtime too. I’m on during the day, which is usually not the best playtime to find a crowd. Still, I’ve been able to get by on other games. Granted, it would take a while, but I’d still get the job done.

Option B is pretty bad though and, personally, pretty doubtful. I mean, as a relative noob, what do I know, but the instanced quests and great story would be enough to get me to group more if I was a little bigger. Those are the main reasons why I play LotRO and I know that I can’t be alone.

So readers, I pose the question to you: what’s the heck is going on!? To put this in perspective, I’ve been trying to find members for this one for two weeks. That spider’s gonna eat gramma soon if no one kicks him out of the basement. What can I do to better find groups in Middle-Earth and have you had similar experiences?

Until next time -

Lights a pinecone and burns his finger.

Damn. Next time I’ll bring some bag balm with me.

No comments: