Monday, July 14, 2008

The recent cut in WAR content

Mythic has recently announced that they intend to launch with four less capital cities and classes than intended.

Upon first reading this, I was quite disturbed.

I mean, come on. This has been the MMO we've all been banking on. The end-game for WAR is based on these capital city sieges and now that's being cut down by two thirds of their announced plan. What is their to be other than disturbed.

Betrayed, deceived, tricked? Yes.

Regardless, the removal of the city sieges is relatively minor in my opinion. It is a horrible removal but at least they intend to put this content in with a free patch. So, I can deal with it.

What really bothers me is the removal of the four classes.

I don't know about anyone else, but I see this as the single most detrimental thing they've done to the game to date. How the hell are Dark Elves supposed to function without their offensive tank? How are any of the affected classes supposed to function with these removals?

It seems to me that Mythic, regardless of their intent to have "great" class options available to players, have just screwed over realm balance.

I mean, hell, Dark Elves are bad ass and if this was really the Warhammer universe, they'd skin every other race alive without tanks.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. In the computer world, Mythic just gimped us, the Dark Elves, and other classes.

Tell me, what is RvR if the balance is screwed?

I know: none of the stuff they've cut is even in beta. Technically, we're not losing anything; however, it does not change the fact that certain races are now missing the necessitated tank, dps, healer trio that is essential to race balance.

If there wasn't an issue as to realm balance before, there sure is now.

Don't get me wrong, I still intend to buy this game. I still see potential beyond that of any other recent MMO.

Mythic can pull their ship together and make this thing great, even post launch. It's not unreasonable for an MMO development company to make changes pre-launch. So long as they do something to equal out realm balance soon after launch, I'll be a happy camper.

The only thing I worry about is how many people will jump ship before they implement the fixes. Warhammer Alliance forums have been alight with people claiming that they'll never buy it. Others are of the opinion that a fix needs to come and soon.

Thankfully, Mark Jacobs, the head of Mythic, is paying attention to the community. He hasn't done a ton to make me feel better but at least he's listening and that's something. Most MMO developers sit in the shadows and keep their comments to themselves.

That's not Mythic and thank God for that.

It gives me hope. If they listen to our comments, as they have through beta, the game will be better because of it.

So, despite the questions that arise because of this recent announcement, I still believe that WAR will be the next big MMO to migrate to and, based upon their communications with the community, it has a huge chance to be the MMO that listens and responds and makes itself great.

Keep the faith readers. WAR shouldn't let us down and even if it does, there's some other MMO in development now to make us salivate once again.

As the industry progresses, so shall we.

No comments: