Monday, July 14, 2008

So, if you're not satiated with my mind's inner workings yet, there's still more!

I haven't been able to log on WoW too much today. I logged on my mage for about 20 minutes and wasn't able to hop on again. Sure, I was on my computer but it's been one of those days when you're online but there's too much on your plate to game.

Sad, sad business.

Anyhow, in my time off the PC today I got to thinking; I haven't had the desire to log on my level 70 warrior in almost two weeks.

I've had a few low level alts in the past but I've always gone back to my ol' greenie (i be an ork).

It's somewhat striking to me but overall, I think it means that I've reached a new point in my WoW career. 70 is great. The dungeons are fun (usually), the guilds are generally much better than the low levels ones, and the content is better designed.

Despite all that, I don't really care about going back... and it doesn't bother me. All that time put into my main going out the window and I've waving goodbye.

If you've been reading here for a while you'll have seen that I'd been going through pseudo burnout. Rolling an alliance mage is about as polar opposite from my previous game as you can get short of becoming a healer. It's almost like a whole new game and I've been sinking my teeth into the meat of this new experience and the potatoes that make up the B-content (capital cities, shared zones, etcetra.)

I think another part of this equation is that a mage has one defined role. Period.

As a warrior, I was a mediocre tank (yes, by my own failing. Warriors can be great tanks) and, because I wasn't a high-end raider, mediocre dps. After putting so many days /played, I didn't want to have to spend countless hours farming dungeons for pieces of threat or defense gear.

Don't get me wrong. I loved my warrior. They are a lot of fun, especially as dps. Tanking is also a blast when you're equipped for it. When you're working your way up though, it's fun in a kind of stressful, high pressure, can't mess up in the least without being chewed out kind of way. It's for some people. I can do it but I don't play WoW to feel like I'm under the gun. I don't play to have other people depend on me for anything they need in a dungeon. I play to have fun. For me, that means the low pressure, high numbers, dps game. Call me a noob, call me lazy, call me whatever. I don't care.

Now, I have the best of both worlds: a mage on his way to 70 and a warrior already there with 10.2k health (11ish K with commanding shout) and 492 defense. I can do what I want when I want to do it... usually.

So, for the time being I'm rolling DPS and not looking back. I'm in a new game, folks. Sometime, I'll come back to old Raegn. I'll come back and tank the hell out of some instances then respec and kick some ass in the battlegrounds.

Someday.

But not today.

No comments: