Saturday, June 21, 2008

MMOs and bringing people together

Despite numerous RL distractions, I've realized over the last 12 months just how great of a benefit new technology can be.

Most prominently, since I graduated from high school, I'd lost touch with my best friend. First, he'd moved 2 towns away. Then, he moved to what may as well be ten towns away. It sucked. I went from having my best friend just a few minutes away to about an hour away.

Around that time, I picked myself up a cell phone. That allowed us to keep in touch relatively frequently. Even if I wasn't up to much, I could text my good buddy and see what was new in his world.

And then World of Warcraft came along.

We began talking in-game a lot.It was like a rejuvenation of sorts. We talked a lot. We quested and levelled together. Even though we were miles apart, WoW still brought us together.

It was a great thing. We still get together to this day to "WoW it up." Even despite that, the best part of it is getting to spend quality time with my best friend. We do lots outside of the game... don't get me wrong. It's some of my favorite time away from home; he's my best friend and always will be. He's going to be my best man for crying out loud.

In any event, it bridged the post-high school gap. It's what was needed to keep our friendship fresh.

Recently, my little brother decided to begin WoW. He lives away from home; our parents are separated. His joining up with the game is a wonderful thing.

With the VOIP recently integrated (and Vent if I can get him in my guild) I look forward to a lot of virtual time together. I know, it's not the same as RL, but what else do I have?

My little brother is far from home all but 6 days of the month. Now, I can get insight into what he's going through as an adolescent. I can talk to him as an equal and, in lieu of RL time, we get to be together online. It's not optimal but it's something.

I love my brother. If this is what I have instead of nothingness, I'll take WoW time any day of the week. He and I can have fun together here, despite age disparity.

Don't detract. Honestly, put youself in my scenario: you have a half brother with a different mother. They've separated 15 years ago but due to her issues (read: child support) she won't let him visit more than once every two weeks. He's growing into his own and it's different from how you grew up except for your interest in gaming. You love him and want to be there for him.

Would you do anything other than roll on the same server with him? Would you break away from him online even though it was one of your only ways to keep in contact with him?

Only gaming may lack in some ways but it lets me keep in contact with my kid brother. At this point, screw anything Blizzard does with WoW. It doesn't matter.
What I care about now is the communication and identifying medium their world represents.

For that, I am greatful.

No comments: